Monday, February 21, 2011

Mood Swings

As I previously mentioned, I made a deal with the kids to stay in their own beds all week long and then they would get a surprise.  Suprisingly, Grace did awesome with this, while Logan quickly lost his surprise.  If he came down and I tried to take him back up, he'd actually fight with me.  Grace, however, just needed a little reminder of the surprise and she went back upstairs peacefully.

Saturday night we had a little sleepover at our house (I'll post on that later).  The kids were exhausted following the late night and constant playing.  Gracie gave up and fell asleep in the recliner at 6:00 Sunday evening.  I finally woke her up enough to take her upstairs to her, change her clothes, and tuck her in to her bed.  Logan went right to sleep at his normal 9:00 bedtime.

Grace came down to my room about 1:00 in the morning and did not like that I wouldn't let her stay there.  She yelled and screamed (actually screamed), cried, flopped on the floor, and carried on like a crazy person.  I finally got her upstairs where she kept yelling at me that I'm always mean to her, I'm never nice to her, and tomorrow when I tell her to go to school, she's not going.  I left her crying in her bed and stood in the hallway waiting for her to calm down.

Finally, as she was winding down, I went back in, kissed her goodnight, and told her I love you.

When she woke up this morning around 6:00 she came to my bedroom, woke me up, and said, "I'm sorry I was so mean to you last night."  No prompting, just the first words out of her mouth.  All was immediately forgiven.  She even said it again when we actually got out the bed.  Bless her little heart.

She took a shower with mommy this morning since she didn't get a bath last night.  She played for a bit, got out, and got dressed without drama.  Then it was time to put shoes on. 

Dun, dun, duuuun.

She started with her purple Converse.  She tried to put the right shoe on her left foot which of course didn't work so she threw the shoe across the bathroom in frustration.  Fine.  I told her to go find a different pair of shoes if she didn't want those.  She came back in with flip flops.  Flip flops.

I started to explain to her that she isn't allowed to wear flip flops to school, but she interrupted me to explain why these were the only shoes she wanted to wear.  After her not very good reasoning, I again told her she wasn't allowed to wear flip flops to school.  She could wear them when she got home, but not to school.

Well, she wasn't having this.  She spent the rest of the morning crying and fussing about only wanting to wear flip flops and no other shoe would do (about 15 minutes).  Finally, Logan and I are ready to walk out the door and she's still sitting on the floor crying.  I grabbed a pair of shoes, shoved them on her feet, and out we went. 

That induced another round of tears and fighting and "I'm always mean to her".

Finally, finally, we made it to school.  She walked in with her apple danish, sat down in her seat, kissed me and said I love you, and out I went.

I think we're both going to need to be medicated soon.

No comments: