Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Top Five Favorite Meals

The following are some meals that I'm always happy to see:
  1. Hibachi style Japanese with steak and sometimes shrimp - when I used to go to Myrtle Beach with Julia's family over summer break, we always ate at this delicious Japanese place.  I've long since forgotten what it's called, but it started my love affair.  Joey and I found a little place between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg that is also entertaining and delicious that we stop at every time we're there.  And nowadays, I eat it at least once a month because across the street from my building in downtown Charlotte is Tin Tin, a to go Hibachi style restaurant. 
  2. Mom's Beef Stew - I have no idea where her recipe originated, but I love it.  When I was growing up we got to choose what dinner to have for our birthday.  This was my regular choice, along with sweet corn muffins.  Closely following mom's beef stew is her pot roast, but they're both beef, carrots, and potatoes, so they're stuck together in the number two slot.
  3. Grilled hot dogs, Joey's moms baked beans, and my homemade potato salad - if we're grilling, I'm going to choose the hot dog over the hamburger.  I love them burnt and kind of puffy.  And for a side you must have Joey's moms baked beans.  I've recently learned how to make them and they turn out pretty well, but it always tastes better from her kitchen.  The perfect accompaniment is my own potato salad, with potatoes, eggs, and bacon.  Yum.
  4. Stouffer's Lasagna with Meat & Sauce - I've heard a rumor that people actually make their own lasagna.  I can't imagine why when this is so delicious, and it doesn't get easier to make than taking it out of the freezer and putting it in the oven.  This has a perfect amount of cheese and gets nice and crispy on top.  If I buy the party size, then there are leftovers too.  Win win, right?
  5. Tacos - I love them from Taco Bell or made at home with a kit from Old El Paso.  I like them crunchy with ground beef, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and a good dollop of sour cream and with a side of refried beans.  Grace has followed in my tastes in this area and will eat 2 or 3 when I make them, but no tomatoes for her.  While she'll eat them off a vine, she doesn't want them on her taco.
So those are some of my faves.  Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off my chin...

No comments: