Thursday, September 2, 2010

Run For It!

Recently I decided to change my so-so "taking care of me" habits into unquestionably good habits.  I started by watching what I eat and tracking my nutrition at http://www.sparkpeople.com/.  However, to really improve myself I knew it would take more than eating better.  I would need to exercise, too.  Scary words, right?

I started by getting in the walking habit.  I drove around the block to see how many miles it was (0.4) , then one block larger (0.8), and one block larger than that (1 mile). This way I could track how far I was walking as well as how long it took me to do it.  I set out a plan for myself that I would walk a minimum of three times a week - Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  I was already used to walking the 0.4 mile block (since this was the route we used to take Molly for walks) so I decided to start by getting comfortable walking the 0.8 mile block.  Now I have moved on to walking the 1 mile block, and plan on adding the 0.4 mile block on to the 1 mile block.

However, I have also decided that I want to be a runner.  It looks like something that could be so enjoyable.  I mean, walking is fine, but running just looks so athletic and healthy.  So I want to do it.  I've tried small bits of it while I'm walking, but it's just not something I find comfortable to do.  Which is definitely the big obstacle to overcome.  I'm not ready to give up yet, though.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: