Friday, September 24, 2010

For the Little Ones

A long time ago, I was browsing through The Dollar Tree when I came upon these frames.


I quickly came up with a plan and snatched up eight of them.  You see, I have 5 nieces and nephews and 2 children of my own...7 total.  The eighth frame was for the next child my dear sister has.  However, the glass broke in one of the frames, so I was back to seven.  Not sure what that means for you and your future children, Catherine.  Sorry.

I decided I didn't really care for them as white frames.  It made them look even cheaper than they were.  And the ribbon?  Yuck.  So after dwelling and dawdling for a few weeks (er, months?) I stopped at Home Depot and grabbed a can of spray paint in my favorite color - burgundy.  Well, I didn't know it was my favorite color, but it closely resembled the paint in my old kitchen which I loved dearly.

After a coat of primer (I'm not sure it was really necessary, but I didn't want to screw up and have to start over) and two coats of burgundy spray paint, I was left with this

Okay, I'll admit.  I didn't do the best spray paint job ever.  I'm choosing to blame it on the cheap frames instead of my impatient self, though.  I'm probably going to pick up a few more next time I'm at The Dollar Tree to replace a couple that turned out especially bad.  But overall, I'm thrilled.


They are hanging just to the left of the fireplace/TV niche and are in age order (Dalton, Logan, Kaleb, Breanna, Grace, Chastin, Molly).  I originally wanted to hang them going up the stairs but decided it would be too dang much trouble.  However, Joey reminded me that we have a laser level that would make it pretty smooth to do, so I may change it later.

So there ya have it, a pictorial representation of the little ones in our family.  Any other ideas floating around out there?

P.S. I need some cheap photo editing software.  Well, I really need an awesome camera too, but software is probably a bit more affordable.  Any suggestions?

No comments: