Monday, September 13, 2010

High School Literature

When I visited my sister Catherine in August, I stayed in the guest room/office/library.  Of course I couldn't resist browsing the many bookshelfs in the library and came home with 4 books (they have an extremely long check out period).  A couple of them were books that I had originally read in high school, but was interested in reading again.

The first was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  The male part of the radio show I listen to in the mornings had gotten married recently and had a Gatsby theme.  Since I couldn't remember much about the book, I was excited to read it again.  I actually didn't particularly care for it.  It was okay, it just didn't keep me interested in that 'can't put it down' way.

*Side note: Joey, seeing the book on the end table, said "Isn't that a high school book?"  Why yes, dear, it is.  But you know, you can read it anytime.

The other one (which I'm currently reading) is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I get a ton of magazine subscriptions and in one they did an article about Harper Lee.  It piqued my curiosity so I was pleased to find the opportunity to read it again.  It definitely qualifies as a 'can't put it down' book. 

I would also like to reread Of Mice and Men so I'll probably have to hit my local library sometime soon to find it.  Unless Catherine's library ships...

No comments: