Thursday, August 26, 2010

Come Fly With Me

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of flying to Tallahassee, Florida to see my beautiful niece for the first time (in person).

(Molly's supermodel pose)

Let me tell you - she is one gorgeous hunk of baby girl. 

I have been trying to get to Florida since the end of tax season, since that's our busiest time at our office, being accountants and all.  However, life just kept getting in the way.  Over and over and get the idea.  So finally after 7 months of waiting, everything fell into place perfectly.  My mother in law was making her first visit since her cancer diagnosis last fall (which was the longest she's gone without visiting NC) which meant she could keep an eye on my family while I took my mini trip.  A friend got me a buddy pass for a flight to Florida so I would arrive there in about an hour and a half, instead of after an 8 or 9 hour drive.  (And yes, I am eternally grateful because without it there is no way I could have afforded the flight, or made that drive there and back over two and a half days.)  And I was beyond ready.

Catherine picked me up at the airport, then we did some quick grocery shopping, and picked Molly up at her daycare.  I was terrified that she would take one look at me and cling to her momma like she thought I'd try to eat her arm.  However, she held out her hands to me without hesitation and with a big grin.  Bless her heart.

We spent a few hours on Saturday wandering around Florida State's campus (where Catherine teaches). 

(me and Molly standing in front of a fountain on campus)

I was promised cupcakes from this wonderful cupcake bakery called Lucy & Leos, but Molly was ready for her nap when we left there, so no dice.

Saturday we went to dinner at a restaurant called Harry's which was delicious.  Dave & I had the fried shrimp, while Catherine had the crab cakes.  After dinner, I was again promised some delicious cupcakes, but they were already closed so I had to settle for ice cream instead.

(Me, Catherine, and Molly outside the restaurant)

Sunday morning was spent in a very lazy way, but again, I had been promised cupcakes before I left, so I had that to look forward to.  Unfortunately, Catherine checked the internet and found out they're closed on Sundays.  I'm still looking for them in the mail, though.

Overall, I had a great time meeting my lovely niece and spending time with Catherine.  We don't see each other that often, and I usually have a couple of kids to corral when we do, so it was nice to just be able to spend time with her (and Molly and Dave) and not worry what the kids were getting in to.


(Molly trying on the outfit I brought her - it's a little big)

(Molly wanted to drive me to the airport)

(enjoying a rainy Saturday morning on the porch with her awesome momma)

So I'm sending Molly kisses and looking forward to our next visit together (which my kids have already told me they'll be joining me on).

No comments: