Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rainy Day = Crafty Day

This past Sunday was totally yucky here so we stayed inside in our pajamas all day and covered the kitchen table in crafts.  As soon as the kids see me settle in at the kitchen table and start pulling out craft boxes they grab their stuff and come running.

I had a few goals for the day.

1.  Make the Easter wreath I've been planning.
2.  Make St. Patrick's Day pins so none of us get pinched for not wearing green.
3.  Make hairbows!

The kids had the following goals:

1.  Make a mess.
2.  Have fun.

Lucky for them, I was okay with their goals.  They started out creating things using our various supplies, but when Logan saw me get out the felt, he just had to have some.  He requested maroon, yellow, and blue for the Washington Redskins and the Kentucky Wildcats.  This is what he ended up making:

See the UK sign at the bottom?  He cut the letters out of white felt and outlined them in blue.  He was excited about the game they were playing later that afternoon.

Oh, and did you notice the thing on his head?  He found some ribbon and attached the feathers for a cool head...thing.  I don't know.  But you know that as soon as she saw it Grace had to have one, too.

This is them mid creation.  They were funny.

My first task was to make some St. Patrick's Day pins.  I had seen the idea out in blogland so I created my own version.  I Googled 'Shamrock template' and found one that would work.  Then I traced three different sizes onto some green felt.  (The one that inspired me used three different shades of green, but I only had two, so I just used one to keep it looking uniform.)  I then glued the three felt shamrocks together and added a jewel/bead thing (actually left over from my sorority days in college) to the middle.  Then I glued a pin on the back.  Here's the finished product:

I am really pleased with how they turn out and the kids are excited to wear them, so it's a win.

Next, I worked on my Easter wreath, but it's still in progress, so I'll blog about that later.

I then made a few hairbows and pins for Grace and I.  This is an obsession that began around Christmas and I'm trying to remember to take some pictures of all I've made so I can write a blog about that, too.

I then made everyone take a break from what they were doing (because by now they'd wandered off) and we did something fun!  Clean the living room!  It was a big hit.  While cleaning, I came across a Hello Kitty ring Grace had gotten at some birthday party and decided that I might be able to make a Hello Kitty hairbow for her.  You see, she has become obsessed with Hello Kitty.  I bought her a Hello Kitty coloring book and she'll sit for hours coloring in it.  But no jumping around the book.  She started at page one and is going page by page coloring them all. 

Anyway, after the cleaning excitement died down I went back to kitchen table and got to it.  Now, I'll just warn you that since I've kicked off this whole "crafty" thing I've basically made things by stealing other peoples ideas.  This was made using my own ideas.  And here it is:

Again, I am really pleased with how it turned out.  And I think it's really weird she doesn't have a mouth.  Oh, and I posted it on Facebook to see if anyone could tell what it was and my sister immediately got it right.  So, I glued a hair clip on the back and gave it Grace.  Now I just have to wait for a day she "feels like" wearing it.  Oh yes, Miss Opinionated.

Anyway, that was my Sunday.  What started out as rainy, windy, and gross turned very productive.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

I love the hairbow! I'm on the lookout for hair things now! :-)

So where do you store all your crafty stuff when you're not using it? I've been looking around my house, brainstorming storage ideas...