Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Day In the Life

  • Woken at 7am with Logan telling me the Easter Bunny visited while we were sleeping. Followed that with Gracie climbing into bed with me and giving me a huge scwunch around the neck. Realized I couldn't leave Logan unattended with all the candy that was in his Easter basket. Reluctantly got out of bed.
  • Watched as my two children opened every single egg in their baskets. Realized I needed to find an alternative to the constant opening and closing of the eggs or Molly would be eating a lot of jelly beans.
  • Opened various candy and treats for the kids. Became amused by the $5 Barbie doll I got for Gracie whose legs didn't bend and sounded like chopsticks when they clicked together. Ah well, she likes the pink hair and butterfly wings.
  • Helped Logan put together the Legos he received. Fought hard to resist the urge to do it myself - not because he couldn't, but because I wanted to so bad.
  • Decided to make some breakfast, but figured the kids wouldn't want any since they'd had tons of candy, some powdered donuts, and Cheese Its. Proven wrong as Logan ate two helpings of scrambled eggs and three pieces of bacon and Gracie cleared her plate of eggs and ate a piece and a half of bacon. Where the heck do they put it all? Are they purging after every meal? I don't get it.
  • Decide to hide Easter Eggs for the kids. This is fun, until we've done it about 100 times. Gracie finally has had enough and we move on to snack time. I think they each eat about 2 or 3 mandaring oranges, some cereal, and a couple more pieces of candy.
  • I make peach dump cake, one of mine and Joey's favorites. Don't have to worry about the kids on this one - Logan gagged the first time he ate it and now calls it the "throwup cake." Still tastes good, though.
  • Finally start laundry. Don't really feel like doing it though, and am only on the second load as I write this at 9:30 in the evening.
  • Put Gracie down for a nap after a small struggle. Think I might need one, too.
  • Try to convince Logan that I do want to take a nap, and I don't want to play Monster Jam on the Playstation. I finally win and sleep for about an hour.
  • Woken up by Logan telling me daddy needs me. Find Joey sitting on the piano bench because his legs hurt so bad he couldn't make it to the bedroom. Help him to bed so he can take some pain medicine and rest.
  • Realize I'm about 15 minutes past when I wanted to put the ham in the oven for dinner. Put presliced ham in a casserole dish, pat it with brown sugar, and pour a can of pineapple chunks over it. Note: did not cover it.
  • Grace wakes up from nap. Play with her for a bit, then go upstairs to take a shower. After the shower, help Logan build something different with his Legos, then build a helicopter he already had. Of course, we're now missing pieces. Grace decides she is going to play some strange version of doctor, and proceeds to hit me in the stomach (gently) with all of Logan's play tools, one at a time.
  • While getting beaten by Gracie, I realize I should have covered the ham or at least should be basting it. She won't let me up until she's used every one of the tools. Finally make it downstairs to find two hours have flown by, and the top of the ham is scorched. Woops. Set the oven to warm, lay a piece of foil over it, and move on.
  • Make awesome mashed potatoes, microwave some frozen Green Giant corn with butter, and enjoy a yummy dinner. Logan eats everything but the pineapple, and a second helping of mashed potatoes. Gracie uses the beater she got to lick after I made the mashed potatoes to eat her food on her plate. This is messy. Will avoid this in the future. She manages to find places to store 3 servings of ham. My children and their appetites never cease to amaze me.
  • Go outside for a bit. The kids run around in their bare feet while I pick weeds. Logan falls running down the driveway. He actually managed to not only scrape both knees, but tear a whole in the knee of his pants. He cries like his leg will never work again, but handles the Band Aid version of peroxide that doesn't hurt surprisingly well. Is devastated to learn he still has to take a bath and might have to get his knee wet.
  • Gracie melts down right with Logan and tells me she has a boo boo on her knee too. I must kiss it and rinse it just like I did for Logan. If she were a man with a pregnant wife, she would be the person who puts on the sympathy weight.
  • Bath time is not fun. Logan doesn't want to get in. Finally coax him in. He wants to stand so as not to risk getting water on his knees. This works, until it's time to wash his hair. He ends up laying a dry washcloth over his knee and propping it up on the edge of the tub, still crying every time water touches the less wounded knee holding him up. Finally get him out, get bandaids on his knees, and get him in his pajamas. Oh the drama.
  • Get pajamas on everyone, but need to clip nails - Logan's toes and Grace's fingers. Logan generally fights me on this, so I expect tonight to be especially bad since he's already wounded. Am pleasantly surprised that this is not the case. One of the easiest times ever. Finish his pedicure, give Grace a quick manicure, read some books, and off to bed.
  • Now to finish the second load of laundry, finish cleaning the kitchen and start the dishwasher, get Joey's pills ready for the week, get my clothes ready for the morning, and go to bed. Jealous yet?

No comments: