Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wreath Happy

I have a new obsession - wreaths.  It's sad, but true (although there are worse things, right?).  First I made my lovely coffee filter wreath.  Then I decided a Christmas wreath I made many years ago needed a change.  So I removed all the decoration and ribbon for a fresh start.  I purchased two "sleeves" of ornaments from The Dollar Tree - one red and one gold, each had matte, shiny, and glitter ornaments.  I also bought two bunches of fake poinsettias there.  Then I simply hot glued the top of each ornament and stuck it to the wreath.  I then removed the poinsettia blooms from the plastic stems and hot glued them on too.  Here's the final product:


I totally love it and it took no more than 20 minutes to make.  When I started I intended to cover the whole thing in ornaments but when I ran out I improvised the flowers and am really pleased with how it turned out.  That being said, I think I'll pick up some more ornaments next time I'm at The Dollar Tree to fill in the outside more.

The other wreath I made was based on inspiration found in blogland.  I bought a wreath form, white yarn, red yarn, glitter snowflakes, and ribbon from Micheal's.  I took the yarn and wrapped it around the wreath form in alternating blocks of red and white.  Then I hot glued the snowflakes on and stuck a bow on top of them.  Here's the result:


*Yes, it is hanging from the light in my sister's dining room.  If she had a wreath hanger I didn't see it.

Again, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  As I was wrapping the yarn I got concerned it was looking a little shoddy, but in the end it worked.  I gave this one to my sister Jessica, so as soon as I can get back to Micheal's I'm going to make one for myself. 

No comments: