Monday, January 4, 2010

End of the Year Wrap Up

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before? Turned 30. This wasn't an optional thing though.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make resolutions - I'm smart enough to know I probably won't remember them by February 1st.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? my dear sister gave birth to my sweet niece, Molly

4. Did anyone close to you die? nope

5. What countries did you visit? haven't made it out of the US yet

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? personally, financial stability. Joey constantly worries about it which drives me crazy. for my family - good health.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 24th - my sister gave birth to my niece, Molly.
Sometime in September - found out my mother in law has breast cancer.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? surviving the crazy health issues of our family

9. What was your biggest failure? Not being there enough for my husband emotionally. I'm a bottle it up kind of gal, so I think I try to push that philosophy on him. He, however, is a wear it on your sleeve kind of guy.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? not personally - but my husband had two surgeries on the back of his head to remove a staph infection among his other ongoing health issues; my mother in law found out she has breast cancer and had a mastectomy and is undergoing chemo; my sister in law was officially diagnosed with Chiari, and at least one of my nephews probably has it, too

11. What was the best thing you bought? I'm sure there's something really cool, but I can't think of it at the moment.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? on occasion - my children's

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Tiger Woods - what an idiot

14. Where did most of your money go? medical bills and prescriptions, though none of them mine

15. What did you get really excited about? Going on vacation with the family in law to Lake Lure in July - we had a lot of fun.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? I have absolutely no idea - probably a song by Lady Antebellum

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
-happier or sadder? about the same
-thinner or fatter? unfortunately, carrying around a few more pounds than last year
-richer of poorer? about the same - always worrying about what we have (or don't)

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? I wish I'd gotten out and done more with the kids - money or not, they're only this age once

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Can't really think of anything

20. How did you spend Christmas? At my house with my mother in law and sister in law and her husband and three boys

21. Did you fall in love in 2009? still in love with the same guy

22. What was your favorite TV program? Lost

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? nope, no hatred

24. What was the best book you read?
How can a person choose? Plus they all just run together and who knows when I read them. I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was very good. I got The Almost Moon for Christmas last year and liked it. I reread the Harry Potter series, which I always love.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Not a discovery, but a "reconnection." I've started liking country music again for the first time since high school. I LOVE Lady Antebellum and Miranda Lambert

26. What did you want and get? a new cell phone, which I decided I hated about 4 weeks later

27. What did you want and not get? another new cell phone

28. What was your favorite film of the year? Up, The Proposal, He's Just Not That Into You - who can choose just one?

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 30, which wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Unfortunately, I spent the evening visiting Joey in the hospital following one of his surgeries. However, I came home that night to a cake made by my mother in law and decorated by my kids. Not too shabby.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Joey having more good days than bad.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion style in 2009? Comfortable.

32. What kept you sane? Not dwelling on the bad things - this also means I put things completely out of my head so as not to think about them (some might say I bottle them up).

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I've enjoyed seeing Barack Obama as our President

34. What political issue stirred you the most? I don't get involved enough in politics to be stirred up about anything

35. Who do you miss? My family - we're too far apart.

36. Who was the best new person you met? Julie, Chelsea, and Bristol - we'd been neighbors for a while, but became friends over the past year. They're awesome.

37. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2009. As originally sung by Dory in Finding Nemo - just keep swimming. Or, as translated for us landwalkers - no matter what problems jump in your way, you have to move past them. To stand and dwell on them or wonder what could have happened "if" is a waste.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.
Now it looks as though they're here to stay.
Oh, I believe in yesterday.
- - -The Beatles "Yesterday"

No comments: