Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Aunt Michelle

In case you haven't heard...I'M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!! Catherine is nine weeks pregnant and due on her husband, David's, birthday - December 30.

I'm currently an aunt to three nephews and one niece in Joey's family, but this time feels different. I don't think the amount of love I will have for the new niece/nephew (peanut from here on out) will be any greater, I think it has more to do with the relationship to the person growing the peanut. Since I was one of the first to have a child out of my group, I have thought of myself as the person people can turn to with any pregnancy or newborn questions. However, most of them have moms or older sisters to turn to, so I haven't been able to share as much of my "wisdom" as I would like. This time, though, I'm the big sister. Hopefully Catherine will feel like she can turn to me with the weird questions or things you think no else would think.

Another thing I'm excited about (and this one is a very weird thing) is getting to feel the belly. I've never really felt another person's pregnant belly or felt a little peanut kick (outside of my own belly). The only problem with this is that we still live quite a distance from each other. Dammit. Hopefully I'll be able to visit her at least a couple of times over the next 7 months and Lord knows I intend to manhandle her belly each time. She'll probably be thankful for the distance. ;-)

When she called to tell me she was pregnant, she began with "I don't think I'll be able to help you paint when I come down in June." I asked why and she said because the doctor said it wouldn't be good for the baby in her belly (by the way, I've since realized this is a sneaky excuse to get out of it - I painted with Grace in my belly and she turned out fine). My stomach leaped, but I immediately realized she was messing with me to get out of painting. So I proceeded with fake enthusiasm to ask how far along she was and when she was due. And as she answered all my questions, I began to realize she might not be kidding. "You're really pregnant?!" I asked in disbelief. After she confirmed it again, I started talking in a really high pitched happy voice, which sounded odd enough that the guy from the office next to me poked his head it to make sure I was okay. Needless to say, I was (and still am) crazy excited.

So that's my joy for now. Feel free to bask in the glow of my happiness.

No comments: