Thursday, November 20, 2008

Apple Pie

This past weekend I did something I never thought I'd do. I baked an apple pie from scratch. (Well, except for the crust - Pillsbury just does such a good job!) I peeled the apples, sliced the apples, mix them with seasoning, put them in the crust, covered them up with the second crust, popped it in the oven and baked it up. It turned out really well, if I do say so myself. It lasted an amazing two days in the house.

For as long as I can remember, for Thanksgiving and Christmas, my mom has baked one or two homemade apple pies, fixed a ham and some broccoli casserole, and slid cranberry sauce out of the can. This was our traditional holiday meal. We all looked forward to the apple pie because it was the only time of the year she made it and it was delicious. Now I truly appreciate why she made it only for special occasions - it requires a lot of work. It isn't necessarily hard work, but it takes a while to peel and thinly slice all those apples. I don't think it will be something I add to my traditional meal line up - I'd rather mix up a cheesecake - but I'm proud to know that I could do it if I wanted to.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I have an insanely easy homemade pie crust recipe if you ever want to try it. Also, a tip to make the apple slicing and whatnot easier. Buy an apple slicer (the round kind that you press down on the apples), but make sure you get one that makes 10 slices. Most of them are only 6 or 8, but you can find ones that do 10 (Amazon has them). Then you only slice each of the 10 slices in half or so and the slicing is done. Voila!